Gargrave AFC

Gargrave 4 – 3 Cowling (AET)

May 11, 2009

The final of The Northern Plant Hire Trophy took place on Thursday evening between Gargrave AFC and newly promoted Cowling FC as a capacity crowd watched on.

The competition was first held back in the 1993/4 season when the president of Gargrave football club, Mr Paul Watson offered to sponsor the event. The final has always been held at the home of the club and they were the first team to have their name engraved on the trophy sixteen years ago.

It was a case of deja vous for one player, Lee Barrett, for he was also in the winning side sixteen years ago!

Mr. Watson has continued to sponsor the competition and was delighted to present the trophy to the Gargrave players on Thursday evening, though up to minutes before the whistle for full time it looked as though Cowling would be the recipients.

The blustery conditions hampered the quality of the football and it was difficult for either side to settle. An in swinging corner from soon gave Cowling a lead and Gargrave keeper Stuart Wilson had to make a diving save to stop a free kick. Another in swinging corner from Cowling went desperately near.

But it was Christian Moon who brought the scores to level pegging as half time approached. His tactic of standing still at corners paid dividends, as he found himself unmarked and he calmly headed the ball into the empty net.

Almost on the restart Cowling pulled ahead again to make the score 2 – 1.

Gargrave pushed forwards, a long range strike from Paul Wilkin rattled the bar and substitute Liam Jameson’s header hit the post. The introduction of Gargraves third substitute, Matt Brown at last turned the game in their favor, for with just seconds to go before the final whistle he cooly levelled the score to the delight of the home crowd.

Extra time seemed to bring out the best of the Gargrave play and man of the match Paul Wilkin provided a cool finish into the bottom corner to give Gargrave the lead for the 1st time. Richard Orme lived up to his Twinkle Toes name as he deftly worked his way through the stunned Cowling defence, dribbling past 3 defenders before unselfishly passing to Ben Brown who tapped the ball into an empty net.

Cowling lost a player through indiscipline, but found a consolation goal through a free kick just moments before time.

Gargrave held out and a pitch invasion from the home supporters followed to mark an end to an enthrawling game of local football.


Got something to say?

Gargrave AFC