Gargrave AFC

Waddington 1 – 3 Gargrave

February 2, 2009

It was a game of two pitches, rather than a game of two halves as Gargrave traveled (some further than others MOON) to Waddington for this Craven League encounter.

Gargrave started the game defending in the “beach” half of the pitch, the quicksand traps set out by Waddington seemed to be working as the opening encounters were very even with Waddigton try to take advantage of the conditions.

It was Gargrave that took the lead though when Paul Wilkin took the ball away from goal, and whilst it looked like the chance had gone, he managed to square the ball to Ben “The Bachelor” Brown who calmly slotted home from close range to give Gargrave the lead.

This seemed to settle Gargrave down, but Waddington came back and caught Gargrave on the break leaving the defence outnumbered, this allowed the Waddington winner to run down the pitch unchallenged and he made no mistake firing his shot past the Gargrave keeper Stewart Wilson from a tight angle.

Gargrave continued to fight and were almost rewarded when a stray turtle shell took down Christian Moon on the edge of the box, and Richard Orme’s resulting free kick would have sailed into the top corner if it wasn’t for the acrobatics of the Waddington keeper.

He could do nothing about Gargraves second goal however, and it came courtesy of the worlds angriest person, Oliver Hirst. Hirst picked the ball up in midfield and ran at the Waddington defence, unleashing a fierce shot that clipped the underside of the cross bar before settling in the back on the net to make it 2 – 1 to the visitors.

The score remained the same at the half time interval, where manager Boatwright continued to wear his glasses, despite some libelous claims about then from a section of the Gargrave squad.

The second half began where the first left off, but this time Gargrave were playing down into the quicksand. Despite this the game remained level, and Waddington looked like they could perhaps come back into the game as Gargrave squandered a lot of good chances, but they eventually increased their lead thanks to a confident finish from top scorer Ben Brown.

The rest of the game was played out with neither side troubling the score sheet and it finished 3 – 1 to Gargrave.


Got something to say?

Gargrave AFC