Gargrave AFC

Barnoldswick Barons Res 1 – 1 Gargrave Res (1 – 2 AET)

February 18, 2013

Gargrave faced lower league opposition in the cup and were hoping for a confidence boosting win to lift morale after their devastating defeat to LMS last time out.

However things didn’t go exactly to plan and the home side soon took the lead a ferocious shot from the edge of the box flew into the top corner leaving Gargrave shell shocked. Gargrave had lots of time on the ball but were always looking for the killer pass and stopped doing the simple things. The players were uncharacteristically starting to get on each others backs and were growing more and more frustrated as the game wasn’t going as planned. Gargrave started to put their foot on the ball and in patches controlled the game well but just couldn’t get their equaliser. Simon Boatwright came close with a long range drive but it was the home side who almost doubled their lead when they hit the post. Gargrave were glad of the half time whistle none more so then the usually ever reliable Gaz Lord who seemed to forget how to play football for the first 45 minutes!

The dynamics of the game immediately changed in the second half as Gargrave completely dominated procedures. Gargrave were camped in the Barons half and it was wave after wave of attack but they could not find the back of the net. Gargrave made a change after 10 minutes as Lee Dent made way for Billy Boland, the change paid dividends as Boland equalised for Gargrave when the goal keepers sliced clearance allowed him to volley the ball into the back of the empty net. Now was the time for Gargrave to put the game to bed Barons were tiring and a few opposition players seemed to have given up. Gargrave created chance after chance and had corner after corner but could not kill the game off. Debutant centre back Harry Milner headed wide, Andy Seddon missed chances and Harry Mceneaney saw a header go just over the bar in the closing stages. However, after 90 minutes it was still 1-1, extra time beckoned.

Extra time proved to be the same story as the second half where Gargrave dominated possession but could not score. That was until Richard Orme played a signature through ball that Josh Town latched onto and found himself one on one with the keeper and he showed great composure and slotted the ball home. Josh Town almost immediately grabbed another when he hit a sweet volley that struck the post. Barons offered very little in the second half of the game or in extra time but there was a huge sigh of relief from Gargrave as the final whistle sounded.

There was to be no cup upset today but Gargrave made very hard work of their win but most importantly are in the next round of the cup.

Game stats courtesy of Opta

Gargrave 90%
Barons 10%

Gargrave 512
Barons 0

Shots on and off target
Gargrave 317
Barons 2


Got something to say?

Gargrave AFC