Gargrave AFC

Gargrave Res 1 – 2 LMS Res

February 5, 2013

Gargrave hosted Skipton LMS reserves on Saturday, a relegation 6 pointer if ever there was one. Gargrave were missing several key players too on a day they really needed to field their strongest 11. However, they did welcome back Tom Kay at left back who has had a lengthy period out of action due to a series of injuries.

The game kicked off and it was a very scrappy affair with both teams cancelling each other out. Gargrave had brief spells of good possession but couldn’t offer too much going forward for the fear of being caught out on the counter attack. LMS did break through but Adam Hudson made an excellent brave diving save to thwart the striker. Cries of “Penalty” from the masses of away fans (all two of them and a passer by on the canal path) but the ref made the correct decision and waved play on.

It was Gargrave who took the lead after a fine through ball from Richard Orme caught the LMS defence napping and saw Andy Seddon through on goal his first effort was saved by the keeper but he made no mistake with the follow up. A deserved goal for the Gargrave front man for all his hard work in the first half. Gargrave then appeared to be in control and were happy to see out the first half with LMS not causing many problems. That was until a clumsy challenge in the box from stand in centre back Michael Mclachlan saw the referee have no option but to point to the spot. The LMS front man slotted home to equalise.

The second half began much the same as the first half with very little quality on show and very little goal mouth action. LMS took the the lead when their forward collected the ball on the edge of the box with his back toward goal, chipped up the ball, swivelled and hit an unbelievable volley that nestled in the top corner. A fantastic strike.

Gargrave have played some of their best football in the latter parts of games this season but it just was not their day and the absentees were sorely missed. Gargrave created very little in the second half but did have the chance to equalise right at the death. A fantastic free kick whipped into the box by Simon Boatwright saw Richard Orme completely unmarked but he wasnt able to convert.

The game finished 2-1, a disappointing result but Gargrave are not dead and buried yet and still have a chance of survival.


Got something to say?

Gargrave AFC